Day-One for the Saucon Valley Panther wrestlers is now in the books. Josh Jones (132), Thomas Spirk (138), Nick Rosengrant (145), Matt Arciuolo (160), Dane Csencsits (195) and Nick Warnke (285) all qualified for the 2019 PIAA State Wrestling Championships last weekend. Because Jones and Arciuolo entered the tourney as top seeds, they earned preliminary-round byes. Dane Csencsits, a #2 seed, also earned a bye. Warnke and Rosengrant are #4 seeds and, along with Spirk who is a #5 seed, saw opening-round action.
- 138 #4 Kenny Dushek So. (34-12), Freedom Area, major-decision #5 Thomas Spirk Jr. (36-8) Saucon Valley, 9-0.
- Much closer than the score shows, Spirk had Dushek on the brink of trouble early, but just couldn’t convert.
- 145 #4 Nick Rosengrant Sr. (36-11) Saucon Valley, major-decision v. #5 Robert Krug Sr. (32-14), Forest Hills, 14-2.
- Rosengrant gave up the first takedown, but finished very strong.
- 285 #6 Marvin Beatty So. (24-12), Marion Center, fall #4 Nick Warnke Jr. (36-8) Saucon Valley, (5:09).
- This bout was scoreless after the first period, but Beatty caught Warnke and finished.
- 132 #1 Josh Jones Sr. (42-4), Saucon Valley, technical-fall #4 Donavin Chambers Sr. (35-10), Ellwood City, 16-0.
- Jones used two takedowns and tilted his way to twelve additional near-fall points.
- 145 #4 Nick Rosengrant Sr. (37-11), Saucon Valley, decision #1 Caidan Mooney Sr. (30-7), Northwestern, 7-2.
- With a first-period reversal and three near-fall points, Rosengrant led 5-0 and then held on for the win.
- 160 #1 Matt Arciuolo Jr. (37-4), Saucon Valley, technical-fall #6 Austin Mele Sr. (38-12), Burrell, 18-2.
- Arciuolo earned four takedowns and nine near-fall points on his way to victory.
- 195 #2 Dane Csencsits Jr. (36-8), Saucon Valley, fall #3 Hunter Tremain Sr. (38-4) North Star, 3:36.
- Csencsits was trailing 11-0 before suddenly catching Tremain with a “flying cement-job” and snapping him flat to his back for the pin.
1st Round Consy’s
- 138 #5 Thomas Spirk Jr. (36-9), Saucon Valley, decision #3 Luke Gorg Jr. (34-8) Hughesville, 6-2.
- 285 #2 Emmanuel Lawal Jr. (29-4), Church Farm School, decision #4 Nick Warnke Jr. (36-9) Saucon Valley, 4-0.
Up Next: Five of six Panthers advanced to Day-Two. Josh Jones (132), Nick Rosengrant (145), Matt Arciuolo (160) and Dane Csencsits have made it into the quarterfinals. Thomas Spirk (138) fell to the consolation bracket, but can still make the PIAA podium. Quarterfinal action gets started tomorrow morning at 9 a.m. The semifinals are then scheduled to begin at 7:30 p.m.
Good luck Panthers, the Source is with you!