The hearty wrestling tradition that runs deep through Saucon Valley has grown a little deeper on Saturday as brothers Josh and Jason Jones took their respective places on the podium at the 2018 PIAA State wrestling championships. Panther junior, Josh Jones (126), finished in 2nd Place, while senior brother Jason (138) won his medal-round bout to finish 7th overall. It was a great day for Panther wrestling!
Josh Jones (126) who finished 5th in last year’s championships went down swinging to Jefferson-Morgan senior Gavin Teasdale. Teasdale, a three-time state champion could only muster a couple of escape points against the prowling Panther. Jones was solid defensively and expertly defended a handful of tough Teasdale low-leg shots. Jones came close to scoring a takedown at one point but, by a whisker, was unable to convert. Down 2-0, Jones pressed the action down the stretch with a desperate effort to score. Teasdale was on his heals and wisely avoided Jones’ attack. With about :15 seconds remaining Teasdale, a Penn State recruit, was warned for stalling. Jones pressed forward, but time ran out. It was an excellent showing for Jones against one of the best in the country…..SAUCON PROUD!
Josh’s brother Jason (138), a senior, finished his high school career in a good way. The all-time winningest Panther won his last high school career match to finish 7th overall. Jason battled Central Martinsburg senior Braedon Swab to a 0-0 tie after one period of wrestling. Jones started the 2nd period on top and worked hard for a couple of near-fall tilts to build a 4-0 lead. Swab picked top to start the third period to try and return the favor, but could not turn Jones to his back. Perhaps out of frustration, Swab seemed to put a little extra muscle behind a cross-face aimed at Jones’ nose and gave up an additional point. Jason Jones held on for a 5-0 win and found the Hershey podium for the first time in his career. Jason is committed to continue his wrestling career at Keystone College…..SAUCON PROUD!
PANTHER TO THE FINALS !
126 lbs. Jr. Josh Jones (35-2)
- Preliminary Round: BYE
- Round One: FALL over Reynold’s Kaeden Berger (17-10), 0:58
- Quarterfinals: DECISION over Everett Jr. Garrett Cornell (34-3), 5-2
- Semifinals: MAJOR-DECISION over Cambridge Springs Jr. Ty Varndell (37-4), 10-0
- FINALS: lost by decision to Jefferson-Morgan Sr. Gavin Teasdale (39-2), 2-0
PANTHER TO THE MEDAL ROUND!
138 lbs. Sr. Jason Jones (36-4)
- Preliminary Round: BYE
- Round One: DECISION over Sharpsville’s Brock Salvatore (29-8), 10-3
- Quarterfinals: lost by DECISION to St. Joseph So. Caleb Dowling (34-1), 5-0
- Consy Round 3: DECISION over Juniata Sr. Tyler Feltman (34-15), 8-4
- Consy Quarterfinals Round 4: lost by DECISION to Ridgway Sr. Lukas McClain (34-6), 5-1
- Medal Round (7th): DECISION over Central Martinsburg Sr. Braedon Swab (33-6), 5-0
Great job Panthers, the Source was with you!