Late summer into the early portion of fall is an extremely busy time for the seven wineries along the Bucks County Wine Trail. As grapes on the vineyards ripen, harvest season kicks into full swing. In a matter of a few weeks, the vines are harvested, grapes are crushed and pressed and the fermenting, aging and bottling process is underway.
By October, wine harvest, for the most part, is complete. What better way to commemorate the end of such a full-scale production than to celebrate?
That’s exactly what the wineries of the Bucks County Wine Trail had in mind. On Saturday and Sunday, Oct. 12 and Oct. 13, the wineries are offering samples of fresh-pressed grape juices that have not yet fermented into wine. A variety of fall festivities are also planned in conjunction with the wine trail’s annual Harvest Celebration.
Here’s a look at what each of the Bucks County Wine Trail wineries has planned during the Harvest Celebration:
- Bishop Estate Vineyard and Winery (Address: 2730 Hilltown Pike, Perkasie, Pa. 18944; Phone: 215-249-3559)
Guests of all ages can enjoy wagon rides, transforming wine bottles into scarecrows, fire pits, s’mores, pumpkin wine and live music from Jordan White. Cajun Jax will offer food truck fare for purchase.
- Buckingham Valley Vineyards and Winery (Address: 1521 Durham Road (Rt. 413), Buckingham, Pa. 18912; Phone: 215-794-3606)
Live music is planned for both days during the afternoon (outdoors on the lawn, weather permitting). Sample complimentary grape juice, newly fermenting wine and donuts. A $5 tasting fee applies, and guests can keep the tasting glass. Buckingham will also offer wine slushies during Harvest weekend.
- Crossing Vineyards and Winery (Address: 1853 Wrightstown Road, Newtown, Pa. 18940; Phone: 215-493-6500)
Enjoy live music, bar specials and complimentary food samples provided by local culinary artisans. Stop by McAvoy’s Wine Bar for $5 glasses of hot mulled apple wine.
- Rose Bank Winery (258 Durham Road (Route 413), Newtown, Pa. 18940; Phone: 215-860-5899)
Musician Toni Alosi will perform during Harvest weekend. Guests can also sample special snacks and fall slushies. The witch will reappear with gifts for all who buy six or more bottles of wine.
- Rushland Ridge Vineyards (Address: 2665 Rushland Road, Jamison, Pa. 18929; Phone: 215-598-0251)
Sample fresh-pressed grape juice from this year’s harvest, along with homemade sweet treats.
- Sand Castle Winery (Address: 755 River Road, Erwinna, Pa. 18920; Phone: 800-722-9463)
- Wycombe Vineyards (Address: 1391 Forest Grove Road, Furlong, Pa. 18925; Phone: 215-598-WINE)
On Oct. 12 guests can purchase their choice of Winter White Chili, BBQ Pulled Pork Chili, Beef Chili or Lentil Chili, all served with sour cream and chips. Olive Oil Etc. will offer samples both days. Paul Wiese of the Birmingham 6 will perform solo both days as well.
To learn more about the Bucks County Wine Trail, visit BucksCountyWineTrail.com.