Again hosted by the Whitehall Zephyrs, Day-Two at the 2018 Colonial League Track and Field Championships was, for the most part, very good to Coach Kolosky and his Saucon Valley Panthers. Crowning a couple of gold-medal champions, Saucon also claimed a variety of other hardware at the podium during Wednesday’s finale. The Panthers picked up from where they left off on Day-One.
Leading the way for the Panthers were Talitha Diggs and Patrick Patterson-Zuber. Diggs, a sophomore, won both the 100 and 200 meter titles. She broke her own Colonial League record (25.36) to win the 200 and set the new record (24.57). Meanwhile, Zuber, who is a gentleman-giant junior, was able to outmuscle the opposition and throw for gold in the Boys Shot-Put event.
2018 Panther Champions
- Talitha Diggs (Fr.)- 100m Run (12:17)
- Talitha Diggs (Fr.)- 200m Run (24:57) *NEW COLONIAL LEAGUE RECORD!*
- Patrick Patterson-Zuber (Jr.)- Shot-Put (49-00.75)
2018 Panther Medalists (Day Two)
- Joslynn Rose (Sr.)- 2nd Place Pole Vault (10-00)
- Brooke Riefenstahl (Jr.)- 3rd Place 800m Run (2:24.96)
- Kiele Riefenstahl (Jr.)- 3rd Place 1600m Run (5:17.10)
- Ethan Bernstein (Sr.)- 3rd Place 1600m Run (4:30.07)
- Natalie Hagen (Jr.)- 4th Place Shot Put (33-02.25)
- Ethan Smiley (Sr.)- 4th Place 400m Run (52.44)
- Emma Bernstein (So.), Jorryn Kyra (Fr.), Talitha Diggs (So.) and Brooke Riefenstahl (Jr.)- 4th Place 4x400m Relay (4:18.32)
It wasn’t all good for the Panthers. Competing in the Boys 4 x 400m Relay final, Saucon Valley courageously battled back to a 4th Place finish in last event of the Two-Day tourney. However, the Panthers were disqualified minutes after the completion of the race. The PIAA officials claimed that a pair of Saucon runners exchanged the baton “outside the zone”. It was a disheartening situation for the Panthers for it seemed as if they had the 4th-Place part of the podium pulled out from underneath them.
UP NEXT: Coach Kolosky and the Saucon Valley Panther Track and Field athletes look forward to next week’s return to Whitehall for the District XI Championships.
Good Luck Panthers, the Source is with you!