Saucon Valley’s Talitha Diggs, once again stole the show in the 2019 District XI Track & Field Championships. After winning gold in the 200M and 400M Runs at last year’s District XI championships, Diggs ran her way to a repeat performance with a couple of victories in record-breaking times this year.
On Thursday, Diggs’ 400M time of 55:92 won gold and set a new District XI record. She broke 56:33 set in 2014 by Hannah Brosky of Emmaus. Talitha also won gold in the 200M Run by running 24:39 to break her own 2017 District XI record of 24:77. Diggs has, of course, qualified to move onto the PIAA State Championships next weekend (May 24 & 25) at Shippensburg University. Last year at States, Diggs came home with a couple silver medals. Good Luck, Talitha!
Even though they did not qualify for States, Talitha Diggs, Brooke Riefenstahl, Kiele Riefenstahl and Jorryn Kyra finished 7th in the 4x400M Relay with a 4:04.87. It was a great race with about :06 seconds separating the top 7 finishers. Easton won with a 3:58.65. The Saucon Valley girls may not have stepped onto the District XI podium, however they did get in the local record books by setting a new Saucon Valley High School 4x400M Relay record. Great job, girls!
The rest of the District XI Panther Pack:
- Saucon Valley junior, Nathan Orr finished 5th in Pole Vault 13-03.00. Derek Lasher of Bangor took the gold with a vault of 14-09.00.
- Matthew Chaikowsky finished 5th in the 3200M run with a 9:45.80. The gold was won by Liberty’s Darlyn Fermin who ran 9:40.64. Chaikowsky, a sophomore, missed the podium by .35 seconds. Chaikowsky also finished 10th in the 1600M Run with his 4:33.58. This was :09 seconds off Riley Williamson’s (Parkland) gold medal run.
- The Panther 4x800M Girls Relay team finished 5th. Kiele Riefenstahl, Jorryn Kyra, Emma Bernstein and Brooke Riefenstahl ran 10:08.34 Liberty won the relay with a scorching 9:42.09.
- The Panthers Patrick Patterson-Zuber, a senior, finished 7th in Shot Put throwing 45-01.00. Notre Dame’s Thomas Kitchell took 1st Place with a 55-10.75.
- Saucon sophomore Julia Hernandez finished 7th in the Javelin with a 102-00.00. Parkland’s Shelby Staib took home the gold by throwing 128-07.00.
- The Saucon Boys 4x800M Relay team finished 10th running an 8:49.45. Ethan Kennedy, Jaden Kennedy, Josh Mawson and Will Chen ran well for the Panthers. Parkland won the event running 8:06.86.
- Junior Emma Rohn missed out on the podium running 17.63 in the 100M Hurdles. The event was won by Gabriella Taylor from East Stroudsburg South. Taylor ran 15.26 for the win.