Note: The following is a news release from the Northampton County Area Agency on Aging. Senior Farmers Market Nutrition coupons can be redeemed locally at the Bechdolt Orchards and Philos Farm booths at the Saucon Valley Farmers’ Market, which is open Sundays from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. in Water Street Park, Hellertown, through late November.
Coupons worth a total of $20 are available to Northampton County residents age 60 and over who meet income eligibility criteria thanks to the continuation of the Senior Farmers Market Nutrition Program by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. The coupons are distributed by the Northampton County Area Agency on Aging.
John Mehler, Area Agency Administrator, said single Northampton County residents age 60 or over with incomes less than $21,978 per year are eligible, as are married couples with incomes of $29,637 per year or less. For married couples, both spouses may obtain coupons. Proof of age and residency must be presented by all persons wishing to receive coupons.
Mehler noted that program policies allow a person to obtain coupons for another person only if they have a completed and signed proxy form. Additionally, a person may only serve as proxy for up to four other participants and identification with date of birth and address of the older adult must be shown when presenting proxy.
This form will be available for pick-up at the AAA office, 2801 Emrick Blvd., Bethlehem, and all county senior centers. It is also available on the AAA section of the Northampton County website. Persons may only receive coupons once during the program, which runs from June 1 to Sept. 30, 2016. Income eligibility is based on self-declaration.
Mehler further noted that the coupons must be used at state-registered farmers markets. A listing of such markets in area counties is available from the Area Agency on Aging. The coupons cannot be used in supermarkets or grocery stores.
2016 FARMERS MARKET COUPON DISTRIBUTION AT NORTHAMPTON COUNTY SENIOR CENTERS
- June 1, Northampton Senior Center, 9 to 11 a.m., 902 Lincoln Ave., Northampton
- June 7, Saucon Valley Community Center, 9:30 to 11:30 a.m., 323 Northampton St., Hellertown
- June 8, Nazareth Senior Center, 9 to 11 a.m., 15 S. Wood St., Nazareth
- June 8, Rooney Senior Center, 9 to 11 a.m., 4 E. 4th St., Bethlehem
- June 9, Cherryville Senior Center, 9:30 to 11 a.m., 4131 Lehigh Drive, Cherryville
- June 10, Slate Belt Senior Center, 1 to 2:30 p.m., American Bangor Road, Bangor
- June 13, Mid County Senior Center, 9 to 11 a.m. and 12:30 to 2 p.m., 234 S. Walnut St., Bath
- June 14, Easton Area Lifestyle Campus, 1 to 3 p.m., 3201 Sullivan Trail, Easton
- June 14, Hispanic Senior Center, 10 to 11 a.m., 520 E. 4th St., Bethlehem
- June 22, Old York Road, 12 to 2 p.m., 720 Old York Road, Bethlehem
Coupons are also available Tuesdays from 8:30 a.m. to noon and Thursdays from 1 to 4:30 p.m. at the Northampton County Area Agency on Aging, 2801 Emrick Blvd., Bethlehem, PA 18020, each week until Sept. 30, 2016, or until supplies of the vouchers are exhausted.