At their meeting Tuesday night, the Saucon Valley School Board approved several changes to the 2018-2019 school calendar. The changes were necessitated by two additional snow days the district used this winter.
School will now be in session Monday, June 10 and Tuesday, June 11, with early dismissal both days. Thursday, June 6 and Friday, June 7 will now be full days for students. Teachers’ last day will be Thursday, June 13.
Saucon Valley High School graduation will be held Friday, June 7, which is the date for which it was originally scheduled.
The revised calendar includes 184 student instruction days and 191 work days for teachers.
The board also approved the district’s 2019-2020 school calendar.
The first day of school for students will be Monday, Aug. 26, 2019, and the last day of instruction will be Wednesday, June 10, 2020. The first day for teachers will be Tuesday, Aug. 20, 2019.
In other business at the meeting, a number of students were recognized for various recent accomplishments. They were:
- Lehigh Valley MathCounts Competition – Jeffrey Holzbaur, for finishing first
among all 7th graders at the Lehigh Valley MathCounts competition.
- MathCounts Math Club – Lincoln Alicea, Zayden Ashraf, Benny Brodhead,
Ivy Chi, Kyle Chi, Amanda Dettmar, Louis Flowers, Jeffrey Holzbaur, Cole
Hubert, Yasvi Javia, Daniel Lanning, Ethan Lucas, Ian Lucas, Will Maynard,
Kimberly Moser, Alex Morawski, Jacob Norwood, Lucy Norwood, Claire Phillips,
Madison Reith, Zac Rex, Rudra Thakkar, Edmund Webb, Julia Youngkins and
- Robotics Club: SeaPerch – Emily Chi, Aiden Cody, Joshua Fryer, Aliyah Gazzillo, Braylynn Hasenauer, Jeffrey Holzbaur, Lilian Kubisek, Ava Kuehner, Josiah Lamirand, Teegan Lannon, Aryanna Lenner, Zachary Lebo, Sonia Lloyd, Abigail Luftig, Kimberly Moser, Katelyn Pequeno, Clarissa Phillips, Braeden Schriffert, Julia Youngkins, Victoria Youngkins, Cathleen Zeigafuse. Five members of the club who make up Team Mishipeshu won first place at a regional robotics competition in Philadelphia Friday.
- iTeam – Emily Chi, Tanner Gilly, Caitlyn Keeney, Teegan Lannon, Kyle Laub, Abigail Luftig, Sonia Lloyd – Won best editing award in the “What’s Cool About Manufacturing” competition.
- 2019 PA Junior Wrestling State Championship – Jake Jones
Board member Edward Andres was absent from the meeting.
The next Saucon Valley School Board meeting will be held at 7 p.m. Tuesday, March 26 in the high school Audion room. Meetings are open to the public and typically held the second and fourth Tuesday of each month.
Meetings can be viewed live online and later via a YouTube link that is published on the district website’s School Board section.