Day 1 for the Saucon Valley Panther wrestlers at the 2020 PIAA individual state championships is now in the books. Travis Riefenstahl (120), Chris Arciuolo (132), Jake Jones (138), Thomas Spirk (145), Ty Pfizenmayer (152), Ty Csencsits (160), Matt Arciuolo (170), Dane Csencsits (182), Braydyn Lugardo (195) and Nick Warnke (285) all qualified for the trip to Hershey last week at the Southeast Regional tournament. This weekend, the Panthers are looking for their 14th PIAA state champion in school history.
Saucon Valley State Wrestling Champions
- 1970 Don Rohn (112)
- 1971 Don Rohn (120)
- 1972 Dan Santoro (133)
- 1975 Gary Albright (175)
- 1976 Jim Zenz (105)
- 1976 Rick Rodriguez (145)
- 1976 Jerry Rodriguez (167)
- 1977 Jerry Rodriguez (185)
- 1982 Bill Hershey (126)
- 1996 Joey Killar (152)
- 2009 Brandon Palik (215)
- 2013 Ray O’Donnell (220)
- 2019 Josh Jones (132)
- 2020 ???
After the first day of wrestling Jake Jones (138), Thomas Spirk (145), Matt Arciuolo (170), Dane Csencsits (182) and Nick Warnke (285) have kept the dream of being a state champion alive and are three more wins away from a state title. Jones, a freshman, joins his senior Panther pals to advance into tomorrow’s quarterfinals.
Senior Braydyn Lugardo (195) and sophomore Chris Arciuolo (132) are both still alive and wrestling even though they were knocked to the consolation bracket. Lugardo won his “pigtail” preliminary match to earn his way into the Round of 16. But, he fell to the Consy’s after a tough loss to Brayden Herbster of Reynolds.
Arciuolo (132) started his day in the Round of 16, but dropped his first bout of the day. He was able to shake off the 1-0 loss and stay alive in the consolation bracket. Arciuolo and Lugardo were both able to bounce back and continue their quest for the PIAA podium.
The season, unfortunately, comes to an end for freshmen Travis Riefenstahl (120) and Tyler Pfizenmayer (152), as well as sophomore Ty Csencsits (160). All three looked good, but they each went 0-2 in the double-elimination tournament. The bright lights in Hershey’s Giant Center should serve as invaluable experience, however, as the Panther youngsters move forward with their wrestling careers.
- 120 Blake Wirt Sr. (39-10), Line Mountain, fall Travis Riefenstahl Fr. (28-19), Saucon Valley, 1:58.
- 152 Matty Coller Sr. (30-11) Line Mountain, fall Ty Pfizenmayer Fr. (30-14), Saucon Valley, 1:56.
- 160 Noah Bash Jr. (26-10) Brockway, fall Ty Csencsits So. (15-4), Saucon Valley, 5:06.
- 195 Braydyn Lugardo Sr. (29-14) decision Ethan Cain Sr. (36-9), Elizabeth Forward, 4-2 (OT).
ROUND OF 16
- 132 Carter Gill So. (35-7) Hickory, decision Chris Arciuolo So. (19-8), Saucon Valley, 1-0.
- Great scramble by both guys to start with nobody able to convert. One escape point was all the difference here. Arciuolo was very close to his own escape in the 3rd Period, but just couldn’t get out.
- 138 Jake Jones Fr. (41-6), Saucon Valley, decision v Kenny Duschek Jr. (38-7) Freedom Area, 14-7.
- Jones started strong with a couple of 5-point headlock throws. Took his foot off the gas and cruised to the finish for the win.
- 145 Thomas Spirk Sr. (29-8), Saucon Valley, fall v Joel Huck Sr. (36-13), Ft. LeBouef, 2:55.
- Spirk looked good and with a 5-1 lead surprised his opponent with a Flying-Cement-Job for the 2nd period pin.
- 170 Matt Arciuolo Sr. (41-1), Saucon Valley, fall Holden Cook Sr. (32-7), Franklin, 1:06.
- Arciuolo quickly rang up an 11-2 tab before converting a blast-double into a pin.
- 182 Dane Csencsits Sr. (39-5), Saucon Valley, Ian Eckenrode Jr. (38-5) Cambria Heights
- Two sweet Csencsits takedowns finished off with a Cement-Job in less than a minute!
- 195 Braydon Herbster Sr. (35-3) Reynolds, decision Braydyn Lugardo Sr. (30-14), Saucon Valley, 7-1.
- Lugardo started slow and just couldn’t find a groove. He trailed 4-1 after the 1st-Period and then 6-1 after the 2nd. Herbster proved very difficult to score upon.
- 285 Nick Warnke Sr. (41-6), Saucon Valley, decision Rocco John-Daniello Jr. (39-9) Reynolds, 5-3 (OT).
- “Big Nick” hit a couple of takedowns with the second coming in the Sudden-Victory period!
1st Round Consy’s
- 120 Braden Kunsleman Fr. (34-7), Brookville, decision Travis Riefenstahl Fr. (28-20), SV, 5-0.
- 132 Chris Arciuolo So. (19-9), SV, decision Brandon Breidegan Sr. (37-11), North Lebanon, 8-1.
- 152 Matthew Leslie Jr. (41-6), Western Wayne, decision Tyler Pfizenmayer Fr. (30-15), SV, 7-0.
- 160 Cole Casilio Jr. (36-5), Johnsonburg, fall Ty Csencsits So. (15-5), SV, :54.
Up Next: Quarterfinal and consolation action will get started tomorrow morning at 9 a.m. The semifinals are then scheduled to begin tomorrow night at 7:30 p.m.
Good luck Panthers, the Source is with you!