Thanks to a mid-summer heat wave it’s going to be hotter than normal in Hellertown this weekend; so hot, in fact, that the National Weather Service has issued an excessive heat watch for the area from Friday afternoon through Sunday evening, when temperatures are expected to reach the mid to upper 90s.
So we’ve come up with a few suggestions for convenient and cool family-friendly fun.
Of course, this list isn’t all-encompassing.
If your favorite local haven from the heat isn’t listed, please tell us about it in a comment.
- The Hellertown Pool: Built in 1939, this historic public pool is remarkably large given the borough’s relatively modest population of about 6,000 people. A family favorite for nearly 80 years, the Hellertown Pool is complemented by a slide at the deep end and a splash pad for little ones at the shallow end. There is also an on-site snack bar, with parking available in a lot across the street. The pool hosts special events throughout the summer, such as the Dip-N-Dance, during which a DJ plays family-friendly music and emcees contests like the limbo on the pool deck. Daily (weekday) admission is $4 for children and $6 for adults (children under 3 are admitted for free). Weekend admission is $5 for children and $8 for adults (children under 3 are admitted for free). Reduced admission is available after 4 p.m. Weather-permitting, the pool will be open daily from noon til 7 p.m. through Saturday, Aug. 24. Address: 575 Durham St., Hellertown, PA 18055. For additional information about pool rules and admission fees, click here.
- Lost River Caverns: Both a natural landmark and a local treasure, Lost River Caverns has been a hot ticket for families who want to cool off (it’s always 52 degrees inside it) every summer for nearly 90 years. First opened to the public as an attraction in 1930, Lost River Caverns is still owned by the Gilman family, who affectionately call themselves its keepers. One of the most intriguing of the cave’s physical attributes is the waterway that is its namesake. In spite of attempts over the years to trace both the source and outlet of the eponymous “Lost River,” nobody knows where it begins or ends. The cave is open daily from 9 a.m. til 6 p.m., when the last tour leaves, from Memorial Day through Labor Day. Address: 726 Durham St., Hellertown, PA 18055.
- Mystical Treatsss Cafe: The newest location on this list, Mystical Treatsss Cafe is a nitrogen ice cream shop and much more. With an ever-evolving lineup of artisan flavors (July’s is Honey with Lavender) served in a fantasy-filled setting (think unicorns and smoke-breathing dragons), ‘Treatsss Cafe’ as it is affectionately called is a welcoming place to enjoy a treat by yourself or with friends. The shop will also soon begin offering soft-serve and milkshakes, and if you want to start your day off with a ‘treat,’ stop in and sample something from their new breakfast menu, available after 8:30 a.m. A selection of gourmet cold brew and nitro coffees is also available on tap. Address: 1310 Main St., Hellertown, PA 18055.
- The Hellertown Area Library is comfortably air-conditioned and a great place to spend a hot summer afternoon reading and learning. Find a comfy chair and curl up with something to help you think cool thoughts. The library’s computers offer Internet access ideal for those times when you need to catch up on local news…perhaps on SauconSource.com? Address: 409 Constitution Ave., Hellertown, PA 18055.
- Vassi’s Drive-in: The drive-in that today is Vassi’s retains an aura of the “Fabulous Fifties” as well as the commitment to quality that’s been its hallmark ever since it first opened as Dari Delite in 1954. For generations, this drive-in has been a popular spot for locals to enjoy a soft-serve or hard ice cream treat on a hot day. Some of the frozen favorites available at the ice cream counter are banana splits, Dusty Roads and “CMP” sundaes, milkshakes and floats. Outside there are umbrella-covered picnic tables surrounded by flower-filled planters, and after dark, the nostalgic neon glow of the drive-in and its sign to enjoy. It’s a perfect place for a date with family, friends and your favorite ice cream flavor. Address: 1666 Main St., Hellertown, PA 18055.