Lower Saucon Township’s volunteer fire chiefs are urging residents to exercise “extreme caution” when disposing of hot ashes, in the wake of two recent structure fires that were caused when ashes were improperly disposed of.
In one of the fires–which occurred Jan. 17 near Bergstresser and Drifting Drive–a garage and vehicles parked inside it were damaged.
According to a public safety announcement posted on the Lower Saucon Township website, “fireplace ashes should always be discarded in a metal container, then moistened and covered with a lid.”
The container should then be placed outside away from buildings and decks.
Fireplace ashes should never be dumped until they’ve had at least four days to cool, fire safety officials said.
Residents are also reminded to have their fireplaces and chimneys cleaned and inspected before each winter heating season.