Have you driven by the Water Street rail trail crossing in Hellertown since Sunday and wondered why there are scarves, winter hats and gloves tied to the fence and gate there?
Those items are there for a reason, and it’s called Project Keep Hellertown Warm.
The project is dedicated to making scarves, hats, gloves and mittens easily available to individuals and families in need in our area–and with your help it will make a difference.
The items are left outside in the elements so individuals who need them can easily retrieve them. There’s no need to go to a social services agency or explain ‘why’ to someone who might pass judgment.
By leaving them outside, they also serve as a visible reminder to passers-by that not everyone has the warm clothing many of us take for granted.
To contribute items to Project Keep Hellertown Warm, please drop them off at one of the locations listed below, where dropoff boxes can be found.
Please also join the Facebook group for PKHW, where we’ll announce the next scheduled visit to tie items to the fence.
- Won’t these items get wet if they’re left outside? A: Yes, the items will be exposed to rain and snow, but the sun and wind will help dry them naturally. Those in need will still benefit from them once they take them home.
- Are they for homeless people? I don’t think there are many homeless people in the area. A: These items are for anyone who needs them–including homeless people–no questions asked.
- Do you have permission to do this? A: Yes, the borough of Hellertown gave Saucon Source permission to use this section of the fence for the project through Feb. 28, 2018. At that time any remaining items will be collected and repurposed (if possible) for donation to a local nonprofit organization.
DROP-OFF LOCATIONS (more locations may be added)
- A Furry Tail Come True, 26 Main St., Hellertown, PA
- Doggy Dao & Cat’s Meow, 1238 Main St., Hellertown, PA
- H&R Block, 13 Main St., Hellertown, PA
- Hellertown Area Library, 409 Constitution Ave., Hellertown, PA
- Hellertown Bakery, 612 Main St., Hellertown, PA
- Kindred Spirits Books & Gifts, 66 W. Water St., Hellertown, PA