It was another great week for Saucon Valley wrestling. Last Wednesday night the Panthers hit the road and travelled to Bangor for a battle with the Slaters in Colonial League action. Saucon came home with a 58-15 victory and continued their quest for a seventh straight Colonial League title. The Bangor victory was Saucon Valley’s 70th consecutive Colonial League win. Then, on Saturday, the Panthers participated in Souderton’s ‘Big Red’ Duals.
Many of the Panthers looked sharp against Bangor, but Coach Shirk was especially pleased with Dane Csencsits (195). Csencsits, a junior who currently holds a 19-5 record, pinned the Slaters Joey Schrader in the first period. Schrader finished fourth in the 2018 District XI, 3A championships. It was a real nice win for Csencsits.
On Saturday, Saucon Valley loaded up the bus and made the commute down 309 for Souderton’s ‘Big Red’ Duals. Souderton rolled out a big red carpet to welcome thirteen teams from around the region including North Penn, Neshaminy and Central Dauphin. Well, Coach Shirk’s Panther program did not disappoint and they defeated all challengers. Saucon Valley went 4-0 on the day and improved to an 11-0 dual meet record for the season.
Panther results at the Souderton ‘Big Red’ Duals
- Opening Round: Saucon Valley 49, Souderton 15
- Quarterfinals: Saucon Valley 63, Pennsbury 10
- Semifinals: Saucon Valley 61, North Penn 18
- FINALS: Saucon Valley 32, Central Dauphin 27
Souderton ‘Big Red’ Duals podium place-winners
- 1st Place: Saucon Valley
- 2nd Place: Central Dauphin
- 3rd Place: Neshaminy
- 4th Place: North Penn
Coach Shirk credited junior Matt Arciuolo for looking sharp on Saturday. Arciuolo won all four of his bouts and defeated North Penn senior Patrick O’Neill. O’Neill is District One’s #1 ranked wrestler (160) and finished 7th in the 2018 PIAA 3A championships last year. Arciuolo’s successful weekend now earns him a 22-4 record, so far, for this season.
Below is a video clip of Matt Arciuolo in action last week working hard for the opening takedown against Bangor’s Paul Mastrogiovanni.
Saucon Source “Shout-Outs”:
- A Saucon Source Shout-Out goes to freshman Mick Sullivan (220) for stepping in over the weekend to claim his first two wins of the season. In his first match against Souderton, Sullivan picked up a first period pin!
- Also a few Shout-Outs to Connor Nicholas (106), Josh Jones (132) and Nick Warnke (285). This Panther trio joins Matt Arciuolo (160) as being recognized for going 4-0 at the ‘Big Red’ Duals.
Up Next: The Panthers will stay on tour as they head to Palmerton on Tuesday night for a matchup against the Blue Bombers (7 p.m.). This is a varsity only match. The Bombers currently own a 2-2 Colonial League record with wins over Catasauqua (45-30) and Southern Lehigh (36-34). Palmerton’s losses were to Northwestern Lehigh (40-30) and Notre Dame (65-12). Then, on Thursday Saucon will host “Alumni Night and “Senior Night” against the Wilson Warriors (JH 6 p.m./Varsity 7 p.m.).
Good luck Panthers, the Source is with you!