Heavy Rain Expected This Week, Flooding Could Result, Forecasters Say

It’s going to be a rainy week in mid-May for the Saucon Valley area.

According to the latest National Weather Service forecast, rain is expected every day from Tuesday at least through Sunday, and some of it could be heavy.

The intersection of Black River Road and Rt. 378 in Lower Saucon Township, on a rainy afternoon in April 2016. (FILE PHOTO)

“Numerous rounds of showers and storms are expected to continue through the end of the week and into next weekend,” the NWS said in a hazardous weather outlook. “Heavy rainfall is possible during this period, with concerns for flooding increasing during this time.”

The rain that ruined outside plans on Mother’s Day is expected to return starting Tuesday afternoon, when thunderstorms are expected to develop to the north and west of the Lehigh Valley and spread southeastward.

“Some of these storms may be severe, with strong winds, large hail and flash flooding the primary risks,” the hazardous weather outlook states.

Tuesday night there is a 70 percent chance of heavy rain; Wednesday there is a 40 percent chance of showers; Thursday there is a 30 percent chance of showers; Friday there is a 70 percent chance of showers; Saturday there is a 50 percent chance of showers; and Sunday there is a 40 percent chance of showers, according to the forecast.

Area residents should continue to monitor their local weather forecasts for updates.

Leave a Review or Comment